Meeting times / venue Edit
Sundays, 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM
Presbyterian Church of Laurelhurst
935 NE 33rd Avenue
Portland, OR 97232
What to expectEdit
Meetings typically follow this structure:
- The President calls the meeting to order at 4:00PM sharp and recognizes the Toastmaster. Members volunteer to be Toastmaster each week. The Toastmaster is the emcee for the meeting. It is the Toastmaster's task to introduce each speaker and form a bridge between the various parts of the meeting.
- We begin each meeting with the Humorist who lightens up the meeting by telling a joke, sharing a funny story, anecdote, quote, or any other kind of humor.
- We have 2-3 speakers for each meeting (members who volunteered beforehand so they have time to prepare) speak on some topic they have chosen for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Next up, the Table Topics Master helps members increase extemporaneous speaking skills by asking members (and guests if they chose to participate) to speak for one to two minutes about a surprise topic. Since extemporaneous speaking skills are extremely valuable in the business world we like to get creative in this area.
- The General Evaluator introduces the evaluation team members and evaluates the evaluators and the meeting in general. Each speaker's speech is reviewed by an evaluator, who highlights the strong points of the speech and possibly some areas for improvement.
- The Timer reports on the durations of each speaker. Toastmaster speeches and reports are carefully planned to fit specific time periods.
- The Grammarian reviews all speakers of the evening with special emphasis on grammatical correctness, effective use of words, and expressions that improve communication. Reports on the number of undesired "filler" words (umm, ahh, uh, you know, etc) from each speaker.
- Finally the Club business, if any, is conducted at the end of the meeting.
All this in an hour and half!
For more information, please send an email to TMInfo@babble-ontm.org
$36.00 every 6 months. ($27 for TM International and $9 for Babble-On). Membership dues are paid every 6 months, October 1st and April 1st. There is a one-time fee of $30.00 ($20 for TM International and $10 for Babble-On) for new members. If you have been a member of Toastmasters International in the past the $20 TM International fee is waived.
|Tips Per Assignment||Leadership within Toastmasters|
|Choose a topic||Club Remedies|
|Current events||Main Page|