The sergeant at arms is the seventh-ranking club officer.
Standards outside of the club meeting are to:
- Schedule meeting location;
- maintain club equipment in working order and check after every meeting to ensure adequate supplies are available;
- attend club executive committee meetings;
- attend district-sponsored club officer training;
- arrange for a replacement and for assistance if necessary;
- prepare successor for office.
Standards at a club meeting are to:
- Arrange the room at least 10 minutes before the meeting begins;
- make sure the lectern is in place, the banner displayed, evaluation forms and ballots distributed, awards, supply catalog, progress chart and educational material displayed, place cards arranged and name badges available;
- greet members and guests and arrange for guests to sit with members;
- greet the area governor and other visiting officers and escort them to the club president;
- arrange for food service at meal meetings;
- ensure the meeting starts on time;
- collect ballots and tally votes for awards.
- Club Leadership Handbook at Toastmasters International, also available as a PDF
- Master Your Meetings manual at Toastmasters International
- Sergeant at Arms vade mecum and emergency kit File:SaA.pdf, sized for 4 X 6 card.
- Vade mecum: a list of the many properties the SaA needs to tend to at the start of the meeting. Print up several; keep one in the cubby, one inside the lectern, one in your Sergeant at Arms materials.
- Emergency kit: list of supplies needed in case of an impromptu meeting. Keep a copy in the emergency kit, to help maintain its inventory.
- Web page at Toastmasters International
- When You are the Sergeant at Arms (Catalog No. 1310G, 24pp, USD2.50, PDF) Basic information for the Sergeant at Arms.
- Achieving Success as Sergeant at Arms (Catalog No. 1311A.7, 27pp, PDF, PowerPoint slides) Training materials for district-sponsored club officer training.
- Ballot forms (Catalog No. 163, 500ea, USD12.95)
- Find Your Voice brochure (Catalog No. 99F, 2pp, 20ea @ N/C)
- Confidence. The Voice Of Leadership brochure (Catalog No. 100F, 2pp, 20ea @ N/C)
- Sergeant at Arms pin (Catalog No. 5807, gold plated, USD8.00) Bling, if you are into this kind of thing
- Club Officer Manual Set (Catalog No. 1310H) complete set of basic information manuals for all club officers.
This page is a short or incomplete article known as a "stub". Please flesh it out a bit.
When you feel it is a complete article, please remove the Category tag (the bit in square brackets saying Category: Stub) as well bits in curly brackets that say "stub". You can see these things if you click on "edit".